Sunday, March 28, 2010

This Is It



Click on mosaic to enlarge

I started writing this final blog entry in my head several days ago, and can't believe the time has actually come to say goodbye. Thank you for going along on this amazing journey with me and for your support and encouragement over the last three months; thank you for the comments, the emails, and the phone calls. I am delighted that you have enjoyed following this blog as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

I've stressed over how to end this thing and I'm still struggling with just how to wrap it up. I think tomorrow when I return to work time will be spent reconnecting with colleagues and answering questions about the time away so perhaps a good way to end this blog is to answer a few of the questions I'm anticipating.

Q. What did you do for three months?

A. I did a lot of traveling. I packed and unpacked my suitcase more than 20 times, traveled approximately 22,000 miles by air and by car. I snorkeled in the south pacific ocean, skied in Wyoming, rode a cable car in San Francisco, posed for a picture next to a sleeping seal in Kikoura, New Zealand, and sent my beloved grandmother a birthday greeting from a beach on the island of Aitutaki. I snapped over 800 pictures, read about the immortal life of Henrietta Lacks and the impossible burden that life placed upon her children. I hugged a towering California redwood and waded in a swimming hole. I visited Florida with my sister Tracy when the temperature dipped to its coldest reading since 1895. I soaked in a natural hot spring after snowshoeing to it through the woods near Yellowstone National Park.. I was comforted by the angelic voices of a Maori congregation at the Cook Island Christian Church and deeply saddened by what I saw and didn't see on my drive through the Cheyenne River Reservation in South Dakota . I toured the Getty Museum, drove on a Los Angeles freeway, learned a lot about California's history and the missions, and sipped wine on the "Sideways Tour." I saw hundreds of dusky dolphins, an albatross, four whales, dozens of seals, and woolless sheep in New Zealand. I danced at a Western bar in Wilson, WY. I met a witch disguised as a little girl on a Florida beach. Okay, she was probably a little girl but she had the face of a 35 year old. I met many wonderful people along the way including our hosts at BB&Bs and boutique hotels, restaurant workers, airplane seatmates, shop keepers, fellow travelers, John's friends Bob, Lynne, Inger, and Peter, and countless others. I drove on the left side of the road for several hundred miles and just narrowly escaped being flattened when I looked left rather than right before stepping into the street somewhere in New Zealand. I kept John safe in New Zealand and he acknowledged more than once that I probably saved him/us from serious injury or death. During the few weeks actually spent at home I met up with friends over leisurely lunches. I went under the knife and had my droopy left eyelid lifted up, and now it almost matches my right eyelid. I spent two nights on a farm in Te Anau, New Zealand, and two nights alone in a cabin in Jackson Hole, WY. I held a blue star fish in my hand and floated above clams the size of suitcases. I mailed postcards to my grandfather from every stop and found a new way to honor my grandmother. After we finished a meal in Hokitika, NZ the waiter presented us with a guest book along with the check. I signed the guest book E.M. Jackson (home city, VA) and continued this practice each time I had the opportunity to sign a guest book from that point onward. I took a cruise through New Zealand's spectacular fjords and hiked in Abel Tasman National Park. I caught a glimpse of what lies beneath the sea and it was AMAZING! I walked through San Francisco's Chinatown and admired the tranquil beauty of the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park. I saw more beauty in nature than I thought possible, heard singing so glorious that I was moved to tears, and tasted fruits that defied description.

Q. Did you ever miss work?

A. Actually, I really did miss work. I missed my colleagues most of all and I missed the routine and structure of work. I think 90 days was just the right amount of time away and I'm happy to be back.

Q. How was it spending so much time with John?

A We got along amazingly well considering the amount of time we spent together. We had just one real argument and one misunderstanding. We're very good travel companions because we like to observe, explore, learn, and laugh. He's also a great travel companion for me because he pushes me out of my comport zone and encourages me to try new things.


Q. Do you think this was a life altering experience?

A. It's too early to say, but I'm sure this experience will have a lasting impression on me. The experience made me more aware and more curious and I'm eager to learn more and see more even if it's only through reading and short trips.

Blogging was also a wonderful experience because throughout each day I thought about how I was going to describe the day in the blog; knowing that I had "followers" on my journey forced me to take in everything as it was the only way to really bring my followers along on this incredible journey. So once again thank you for your support and encouragement and thank you for carving out time in your day to join me on this adventure.

Godspeed!



7 comments:

  1. Just got done reading your final blog. Really wonderful. As to the video, it was spectacular! What a great job. Whatever the music was that accompanied it, it was perfect. Together, they were a wonderful experience and made me want to extend our vacations to new places and adventures.

    Thanks, and have a great first day back.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is brilliant!!! :) You guys must have had an amazing time! Wishing you a wonderful first day back at work, with lots of great memories and pictures to show for your incredible travels!!!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished reading your blog - got a little behind.You just got better and better in your descriptions from food to scenery and you got better and better in your personalization.
    Can I take a trip with John? Not sure I can play walker Frisbee.

    Margaret Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's over. I have so enjoyed following along although I could have done without the reminder of the witch encounter. Great now I have that picture in my head again.

    TB

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great blog and video!I especially like the blue star fish, sleeping sea lion, group of dolphins, you next to the driftwood, and John in Muir woods!

    A.W.

    P.S. I really “need” to know what was the misunderstanding and the argument?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will miss having your blog to read each morning. You did a great job with it and I love knowing that Mama's name is in guest books all over the world. Quite a feat for a woman who seldom left W*** Street. I hope you learned that Al Franken is writing a new book
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. The music on your final blog seems to be saying good bye. it made me sad. Look forward to seeing you this month.

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete