Saturday, March 27, 2010

Saturday Night Live


What a fun Saturday! The morning was fairly uneventful, but the evening has been great fun. I lounged around the house until about 3:00 when I ran out to do a little last minute shopping in preparation for our evening on the town. I was cutting it close because John wanted to leave for Tom's party at 4:30 and I only arrived to his house at 4:20! Fortunately, he was still dressed in jeans and not even close to being ready to dash out. We left John's place around 5:00 headed for downtown. John's good friend Tom B. hosted a fund raising event for the Midwest Values PAC (DFL party). Senator Al Franken and Seth Meyers were the featured guests; and while everyone who knows me well knows I'm not a big fan of Al's... I must say he was really quite charming, thoughtful and bright (we had a brief chat about the disturbing conditions on Indian reservations). Seth Meyers was hilarious. For those who don't stay up late enough to catch SNL, Seth Meyers is the head writer and anchor for Weekend News Update. He's really bright, quick, and laugh out loud funny! The event at Tom's penthouse condo was a swanky affair where we were two of perhaps 70 invited guests, every guest got a photo op with Al and Seth and we got some nice face time with both as well as the candidate trying to unseat nutty Michelle Bachmann. The food was tasty too; John pointed out the mini burgers (don't know how I missed 'em) and I managed to scarf down a couple along with a hearty helping of cheese and crackers and a glass of wine. I was expecting a fun evening but the party was way more fun than I expected and I had a great time as did John. Now we're back at the house making popcorn and getting ready to watch a comedy.. either Nurse Betty or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

John will ask Tom about getting a copy of the photo so if/when I get my hands on it I'll post it here assuming it's decent. I wore my hair in a braid out but it looked finger-in-an-electrical-socket wild :>)

http://www.midwestvaluespac.com/

I couldn't divulge this at the time I posted this entry because I wanted to surprise my sister with an autographed copy of Al Franken's Liars book. He was kind enough to sign it "To Tracy, Great sister. Al Franken" I felt like such a geek carrying around that book. Earlier in the evening I realized I left my handbag in a corner and it just happened to be very close to where Al and Seth addressed the guests. Once they started talking I realized my handbag was there with the book poking out and my cellphone; I could hardly breathe while they spoke because I was afraid my cellphone would start ringing and the only way to silence it would have involved crossing in front of them and looking like a complete fool with not only the annoying cellphone but the book too! Let's just say theirs were two of the longest speeches I've ever endured.

2 comments:

  1. I knew you would have fun. Al should have thanked you for your sister's donation to his campaign :>)

    ReplyDelete